Founded in 1935, Central Oil and Supply is one of the largest fully integrated petroleum distributors in the United States.
Find one of our Central Station locations near you!
Keep track of important news for all of COS's Divisions!
Where it all Began...
Central Oil & Supply's员工为公司工作感到骄傲steeped with a deep sense of purpose and rich history. Our founding family, the Sherrouse family, has contributed to Louisiana history since 1828.
Sherrouse Medicine Co. of New Orleans was founded when brothers John Monroe Sherrouse and William Jasper Sherrouse became partners with Dr. G. H. Tichenor in 1885 as manufacturers of the famous Dr. Tichenor's Antiseptic--a liquid "specific for healing wounds, burns, etc, which soon became a very popular house-hold remedy."
William John Sherrouse, William Jasper's son and founder ofCentral Oil & Supply, was born in February 1888, in Franklin Parish. William's father died when he was just 14, so it was then that he got his feel for managing a business of his own: the family farm.
The first Circle S station opened in 1926 in Gulfport, Mississippi. Soon after, William John Sherrouse was operating stations in Fayette, Hazelhurst, and Gulfport; it was a year later that the family made the decision to move their headquarters to Monroe, Louisiana.
In 1928, the business that operated the Circle S stations became incorporated under the name W. J. & C. Sherrouse, Inc. It would not be until 1935 that all six Central S and two Circle S stations became organized and incorporated for the sale of wholesale petroleum under the nameCentral Oil & Supply Corp.
In 1972 one chapter closed and a new one began, as John Hardeman Cordell IV (husband of W. J. Sherrouse's granddaughter) became president of the company.COShas since opened two additional facilities, one in Shreveport and in Baton Rouge, that help us better serve the entire state of Louisiana and greater surrounding areas. Also while Mr. Cordell operated in this capacity, he foundedCOS'sline of convenience stores, the Central Station Stores, in the early 1980s.
Where the 5 Guys Burgers and Fries and Orange Leaf on Thomas Road in West Monroe are, sat the first everCOSconvenience store. What inspired Mr. Cordell to develop the business in this capacity was that there were so many unsuccessful, run-down, three-canopy service stations in the area. So in 1980, Mr. Cordell opened the firstCOSconvenience store; he knew it was only the beginning when this first location in West Monroe was a hit. And rather than operate service stations that hardly sold fuel at all, he would offer even more to the people of north Louisiana with these new convenience stores.
Today, we operate 14 Central Station Stores that span north Louisiana, and our employees strive every day to practice the ideals that W. J. Sherrouse set forth when he founded the company.
We Believe In
AtCentral Oil & Supply, it is not just our job, but our heritage, to deliver quality products and superior service.